Monday, February 20, 2012

RIP

Whitney Houston died and how did I come to know about this? No, not from newspapers and news channels, the later have blissfully forgotten that UP elections is not the only thing happening around this world. I came to know about Whitney's death from the numerous RIPs posted on facebook. And that reminded me of the first time I came across this term. I don't actually remember when, but sometimes during my 10+2, I saw this poster of a long haired person playing a guitar, a cigarette dangling from the edge of his lips. On the poster, it was written "RIP, Kurt Cobain". I hadn't yet been introduced to rock music and had no idea who this guy was or what the term RIP meant (Guess I am of the slow type). But the poster stayed in mind and I asked one of my hip friends what the term meant. The friend, if you could call him one, gave me a look which convinced me that I sure had committed some grave mistake. He did however told me that RIP meant 'Rest in peace'. However, I was overjoyed to discover that even he hadn't heard about Kurt Cobain. I didn't know it at that time but the line of the moment was--I am not the only one. It was not until I met another long haired guy from Karnataka at my engineering college, did I come to know about Kurt Cobain and his songs.

That is why I feel a little embarrassed every time I use this term because it reminds of my friend's pair of eyes looking at me condescendingly. So, i don't use this term often, certainly not in cases where I hardly ever thought about the person when he/she was alive.

Kurt Cobain was/is different. I think about him often, rather he makes me think about things regularly.

RIP, Kurt Cobain!

No comments:

Post a Comment